(STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths)
Inspiring young people about the exciting and rewarding careers that studying Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths can lead to.
Here at LEBC we deliver the STEMNET contract for Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, local business and individuals who want to support this aim to ensure we have a future workforce that is enthusiastic about STEM subjects.
We hope you find the following information useful, there are also specific links on the top right hand side of this page under the “In This Section” heading.
This national volunteering scheme has over 29,000 people who are passionate and enthusiastic about inspiring our next generation of Scientists, Technologists, Engineers and Mathematicians!
STEM Ambassadors are committed to supporting local schools, colleges and youth groups including Guides and Scouts to raise awareness of where studying a STEM subject can take them in the future.
The STEM Ambassador scheme works in partnership with:
- BT IT Ambassadors
- Chilled Food Ambassadors
- Code Club Ambassadors
- Construction Ambassadors
- E-Skills IT Ambassadors
- Girl Geeks Ambassadors
- NHS Health Ambassadors
- Royal Society
- Video Games Ambassadors
- Young Cross Rail Ambassadors
View the national literature on STEM Ambassadors:
- For Businesses and Individuals click here to open a pdf explaining more about STEM Ambassadors.
Registering as a STEM Ambassador is quick and easy and can be done online by clicking here. Following your registration you will be contacted by LEBC who will get in touch to arrange an induction to the scheme. By joining the STEM Ambassador scheme you will be asked to complete an enhanced DBS (previously CRB) Check, the process for doing this will be explained after registration.
- For Teachers click here to open a pdf explaining more about STEM Ambassadors.
STEM Ambassador visits are free to schools and colleges, so make the most of this fantastic resource! If you would like to request a STEM Ambassador for your school or college please click here for the request form, or fill in the form at the bottom of this page.
If you would like to talk to a member of the team about the STEM Ambassador scheme please find out contact details at the bottom of this page.
If you would like to visit the national STEM Ambassador website then please click here.
CREST Awards are a national programme that gives students the opportunity to gain recognition for creative work in the fields of Science and Technology.
For Ages 11 to 19 the CREST Awards come in three levels:
- Bronze – requiring 10 hours of project work by the student (aged 11 to 14).
- Silver – requiring 30 hours of project work by the student (aged 14 to 16).
- Gold – requiring 70 hours of project work by the student (aged 16 to 19).
For more about CREST Awards for 11 to 19 year olds please click here to open a pdf explaining the awards.
At Bronze level there is also the option to run a CREST in a Day event. This is ideal for Years 6 to 9 and involved a little bit of homework before a day of Science, Engineering or D&T themed tasks where students plan, predict, test, investigate and evaluate.
For more information about the CREST in a Day events please contact:
Tel: (0116) 240 7000
For Ages 5 to 11 the CREST Awards come in 3 levels:
- CREST Star Award – Typically for 5 to 7 year olds. For the Star award children discuss how to solve scientific problems, and share their experiences. This will normally take about 8 weeks.
- CREST Super Star Award – Typically for 7 to 11 year olds. For the SuperStar award children work independently, discuss ideas and how to test them, solve simple problems and decide how to share results. This will normally take about 12 weeks.
- CREST Mega Star Award – Typically for 8 to 12 year olds. For the MegaStar award children research and think about scientific problems, make independent decisions about materials and procedures, record and interpret results, organise their work and communicate ideas. This will normally take about 12 weeks.
For information on CREST STAR Awards for 5 to 11 year olds click here.
A full list of the CREST Awards available can be viewed via our news section by clicking here.
To visit the national CREST website click here.
WISE = Women into Science and Engineering
The Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) campaign, is committed to inspiring and enthusing girls and attracting them into STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) studies and careers.
We hold a range of events at local businesses and Universities that are aimed at giving girls an insight into modern day STEM industries and courses. The days are supported by STEM Ambassadors.
For more information please contact:
Tel: (0116) 240 7000
Looking for more information….
To find out about STEM projects in Leicestershire click here.
To find out about STEM projects in Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes click here.
For STEM related websites click here, then click on the STEM Related Organisations heading.
To express you interest in the STEM Ambassador scheme click below, then fill in the form and we will be in touch shortly: